Monday, April 13, 2009

All That Snow Has to Go Somewhere

As some of you may know, we had record snowfalls here in North Dakota. Now that the temps are in the 40s to 60s, the snow is melting fast and has to go somewhere. After dealing with the challenges of all that snow, now we're dealing with the challenges of flooding.

The small town of about 1000 where I live flooded in 1969 and after that the town built a dike and rerouted the river. However, the snow melt and runoff is now filling up the river and is threatening the dike. Several farms and homes outside of town, not protected by the dike, are already flooding. In fact, the school cancelled classes today and bussed the high school kids out to various farms to sandbag. My 16-year-old son is out sandbagging as I write this.

We live in town, so we're not in imminent danger now, but my husband and I drove out to the bridge to check out the river level and it's looking pretty scary. The river isn't supposed to peak until maybe Wednesday or Thursday.

I wanted to take some pix to post, but I have to charge the batteries for the digital camera...go figure. I'll try to get out later today and take some pix so I can post them. I'm thinking it's about time to move anything important out of the basement. Hopefully the dike will hold, and the river won't crest over the dike!

1 comment:

alana said...

That sounds pretty scary! I'll keep my fingers crossed.