Wednesday, August 5, 2009

MFA Residency: Day Four

Another great day. The morning workshop was "Plot in Fiction" where we covered some literary history, some nuts and bolts of plot and dramatic arc, applied those principles to some reading we had been given a week or so ago, then worked on some writing exercises. All in all it was a very information-dense and informative workshop. I was pleased with what I produced from the prompts.

We then attended a thesis panel and discussed thesis tips and advice.

Next, a reading of three very good pieces.

Another panel with a rep from Barnes and Noble.com and a literary promoter.

It was a long day of listening, so I begged off again on the evening's readings. It's been a lot of information to assimilate.

During a break in activities today I did a little searching through the writing work I have saved to my hard drive and found a couple of plays I forgot I'd written. It's been a while since I've looked at my writing. It's interesting when you go back and look at pieces you haven't read for a while - sometimes you realize they suck, sometimes you surprise yourself. I was pleasantly surprised by three plays I found. One 10-minute, one shorter, and one unfinished which is intended to be longer. I also found an essay I'm going to submit to an anthology of women's essays.

So all in all a pretty good day!

2 comments:

Terri Tiffany said...

I'm so glad you loved what you went back and found. I rarely do!LOL I often wonder what was I writing and how horrid is some of the other stuff out there! I'm my worst critic for sure.
SOunds like a good interesting day!

Glynis Peters said...

Wow sounds busy times for you. Sounds very interesting. I read something the other day and thought, that was good, then realised I had written it years ago! That was a rare, one off, I can tell you. LOL.