Friday, September 3, 2010

Haiku Blogfest


Today is the haiku blogfest hosted by Stephanie Thornton. The blogfest runs Sept 3rd and 4th, so be sure to visit Stephanie's site and check out the links of everyone participating!

As I've commented here before, I'm not a poet by any stretch of the imagination, but I do love haiku - they're deceptively simple yet can be so zen. And I'm not good at writing them. Like I said deceptively simple, not actually simple.

On her site Stephanie suggested that blogfest participants write haiku based on their WIP, so rather than make an attempt at a "real" haiku (i.e., seasonal references, nature-related, moras vs syllables, etc), which I'm sure I'd butcher, I wrote one about my paranormal romance WIP.


Faeries are real. What?!
Rogue fae father wants her dead.
Can soul mate save her?

If I can come up with one for my sci-fi WIP I'll add it tomorrow!

Check out the rest of the entries and enjoy the fest!

11 comments:

Amalia Dillin said...

I love the "What?!" on the end of the first line! And I think Haiku is one of the hardest things. I don't even really understand it, but they used to make us write them all the time in my various English classes over the years.

I'm starting to think that maybe agents should request Haiku summaries of novels in queries! :) It's a great exercise in concise summary, which you accomplished perfectly!

Jemi Fraser said...

That was great - I've got a good feel for your ms in only those 3 lines! I can even hear your voice :)

Mark said...

Anything with faeries is cool by me:)

Wendy Tyler Ryan said...

Cute. Nice voice.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

That's fun and tells a lot about your story. :)

Stephanie Thornton said...

Ohlala! This one is great!

I know we writers hear way too much about including voice in everything, but this haiku definitely has voice. I didn't even know that could be done!

Unknown said...

Of course fairies are real! But I like how you phrased it for the haiku.

RaShelle Workman said...

Yay! Fairies. And her soulmate will have to save her. I like it!!

Unknown said...

That's a great Haiku! Don't you think this is so much better than hook lines? In fact, you should add the haiku to your query letters! ; )

M. Bail said...

Tessa - I was so thinking that the haiku would be perfect in a query letter! I guess great minds think alike!

VR Barkowski said...

Well done! You've just pitched your WIP in a haiku. You have voice, premise, character and hook all in three lines. Awesome job!