Monday, November 30, 2009

NaNoWriMo Winner


So, for some reason I thought it would be an awesome idea to participate in NaNoWriMo despite the fact that my plate was already full to overflowing with a full MFA course load, a full time job, and a family who likes attention now and then. But hey, what the heck, who needs sanity anyway? So I plunged into the NaNoWriMo experience. Thankfully I had a strong concept of my story. I had plotted it out in broad terms and knew where I wanted it to go. Of course, along the way it veered away from where I thought it should go a couple of times, but I managed to rein it in and get back on course. And today, on the very last possible day, I crossed the NaNoWriMo 50000 word finish line and "won" - Yay me!

Of course the novel isn't finished yet, but now I can slow down to slightly less than breakneck pace, perhaps 1000 words per day?, and finish it with a little more leisure.

I definitely recommend the NaNoWriMo experience to any and all writers. It's complete and utter insanity, but it's also incredibly invigorating and inspiring as a writer. For 30 days you commune and commiserate with a community of writers who all have a common purpose: to write 50000 words in a month. It's heady stuff; frustrating and fun. I fully intend to do it again next year. If nothing else, it will boost your confidence that you can get that many words on the page - it forces you to write instead of stare at the blankness.

So there you go. I won. Hooray! Has anyone else done NaNo? What was your experience?

6 comments:

alana said...

Woohoo for you! That's incredible. :)

Stephanie McGee said...

Congrats!!!!!

Maybe next year I'll participate.

Unknown said...

I've been meaning to the NaNoWriMo ever since I took my MACW and a fellow student did it. Yes, she's quite mad but she seemed to be really invigorated by it. Alas, for me, life always seems to get in the way (I also have an MA in Displacement Activity, my blog is a testament...), but next year perhaps.

Well done you!

Helena xx

Elana Johnson said...

Congrats! I did NaNo last year and won by a landslide. This year, I, uh, started and got distracted. I did write 25K this year, but didn't make the 50. But go you!

Anonymous said...

Gods mill grinds slow but sure.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Hey! NICE blog! I haven't done NaNo in November, but there is one in July that I did 2 years ago. That is when I wrote the bulk of my novel. I think it is a great way to motivate yourself to really get the book written. You can always edit later, but to get the story on paper is a magnificent feat!

Can't wait to get to your first chapter! And don't be scared...okay, you can be...I am too!!! But it is just going to make us better writers! :)