Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day and News from the Links

It's Mother's Day, but I'm not going to spend a lot of time on it here. This morning I've browsed many of the blogs I follow and I think they've pretty much got the Mother's Day thing covered. So suffice it to say that if you're a mother, Happy Mother's Day.

I'm a mother (x3) but I get to work today driving cart at the golf course. It's not bad, though. I'm happy to be making money after being unemployed for two months. So far it's a beautiful morning (windy, but pretty) and I'm crossing my fingers it'll last. The old and worn out joke here in North Dakota is that if you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes and it'll change, which is exactly what it did yesterday. I drove cart yesterday and the day started out blue sky and sunny. It was a gorgeous change from the last week which was gray and dreary with nothing but rain and even a dusting of snow.

Unfortunately yesterday went from good to bad fairly quickly. The wind picked up, the clouds rolled in, and it started raining. Surprisingly, the course was pretty full of diehards. They were traipsing the course in shorts and polos, determined to ignore the nasty weather.

I also did quite well for tips, which was a shocker. Sold nearly 70 beers in six hours, plus myriad pop, Gatorade, sandwiches, candy bars (Snickers was the big fave yesterday).

There were several groups of Canadians on the course and they're always a hoot. Since we're so close to the border, Canadians often come down to shop. They also come to golf. And let me tell you, they're usually the best tippers, too. So I'm always happy to see them golfing.

After just a couple of days driving the beer cart around and having half drunk old guys practically throwing tip money at me, I told my hubby that I've become a tip whore. Sad but true. It's a new world out there. This is the first job I've ever worked where I get tips (I never waitressed). Like I said before, I'm not young and cute, but apparently the more beer these guys drink, the less they care. Which is fine with me, cuz there's not much better than a handful of cash when you leave work for the day. I made nearly twice as much in tips yesterday as I did in wages. Pretty sweet.

So I'm hoping not everyone is at Mom's house today for Mother's day and that there are plenty of people out golfing. Because another big wad of tip money would be an awesome Mother's Day gift (and if I'm really lucky the kids will clean up the house while I'm at work and make the day that much better!)

Happy Mother's Day everyone!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are a real inspiration. Your kids are very lucky.

Happy Mothers' Day!

Helena

Unknown said...

Hilarious! Now that's a job where you would meet a wide range of fascinating people.