Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Planning Ahead

This is another blog for all you writers out there. As many of you know, I'm working away on my WIP. I spent time today working on plot and story arc and I'm beginning to think this story may need to be longer than just one book. I think the overall story arc can be extended over several books, while I can focus on different main characters in each book with shorter story arcs for each set of main characters.

So, my question is for any published or unpublished writers out there: should I go ahead and plan this first book with the idea of extending the major story arc into more than one book? Each book will function as a stand alone, but will also work together in the larger story. What is the best way to approach it when writing and then when querying agents? Since I am as yet unpublished, I'm not entirely sure the best way to approach this and plan it out, and if it's too much of a risk to take with my first book.

Any insight, advice, suggestions, comments, etcetera are very welcome!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, MKDB.

Probably not a good idea to advertise your blog post on twitter "If anyone cares." :-) I'm glad I came, because it's an interesting question that you pose.

I'm pre-published also, and what I've heard is agents don't want to hear about sequels until they love the book you've written. THEN you can spring your master plan on them. But your first book has to stand all on its own.

Nice blog you've got here. I'll be back!

Cheryl said...

Hmmm...I love books that are part of a series, especially if the characters are people I regret saying goodbye to at the end of the book. But I can see the sense of waiting until the agent is sold on the first one before mentioning it's part of a series. Unless you can give them a hook, a reason why a series is better than just one novel (i. e. the series fits into a genre in which readers prefer a series - science fiction, fantasy, mystery). I'm not an expert by any means though so more than anything I would go with my gut instinct.

Terri Tiffany said...

I know some writers who plan their WIP to be part of a series. I say go with what hits you:)

Glynis Peters said...

Well done on writing such a versatile piece of work!
I think it lishacauthen hit the nail on the head. Send in the first book and then add your master plan. Have fun with it.