Thursday, April 1, 2010

Script Frenzy Kickoff


Today is the first day of Script Frenzy in which participants attempt to write a 100 page script (screenplay, stage play, TV script, comic book script, or radio script) in just 30 days. If you're interested in learning more about it, go to: Script Frenzy.

I am now totally freaked out. I participated in NaNoWriMo in November and managed to complete 50,000 words in 30 days, no problem. But this Script Frenzy has me in a tizzy.

Fresh off of the triumph of having completed the first draft of my MFA thesis screenplay, I have been planning on writing another screenplay for Script Frenzy, but I have no idea what to write. Okay, that's not entirely true. I have an idea, but I'm just not sure if it's any good. Its genesis was several years ago as a stage play, of which I only ever completed the first act. I submitted it to the Northern Plains Theatre Conference in Omaha, NE, and was invited to both the group readings and the writing lab, so I guess there must be at least a tiny bit of merit in the idea.

However, for some reason I'm terrified by it. It's a family drama with lots of examination of relationships and death. Very cheery. And deep down somewhere I do have confidence in the story. I'm just having difficulty getting past the hand-wringing and self-doubt so I can just focus on writing it.

The other issue is, even though I'm moderately committed the idea, I've spent a large part of the morning staring at a blank page without a clue how to start this thing. I've done a very little bit of character development but absolutely no story outline. I have a feeling I'm screwed, as they say.

But...I've never let that stop me before, so I doubt I'll let it get in my way now. I'll just forge ahead and see what happens. After all, I'll never know if it has any potential until I get it on the page, right? It doesn't have to be perfect the first time through. It can be revised.

Okay, I'm taking a deep breath. I'm letting it out. I'm now going to focus and go start this story.

Everybody wish me luck?!


p.s. Since I recently passed the 100 followers mark, I'm going to have a contest to celebrate. Stay tuned for details!!!

2 comments:

Tessa said...

Good Luck! It looks like it will be a lot of work, but it's probably worth it!

Unknown said...

Some of the best stories I’ve written were after a long and annoying stare at the blank pages with no idea of a story line :) I say go for it and good luck!
And Congratulations on the 100 follower threshold.