Friday, January 29, 2010

Are You in the Writing "Mood"

I've been struggling over the last week to get any writing done on my WIPs, and as you can see by the number of days between posting here on my blog, I'm obviously having trouble writing for this too. So, I'm going to challenge myself to post here every day for a week. I've really neglected my blog and I miss it.

The problem is that I'm letting my mood affect my ability to write. I'm told that real writers write every day. They make it a point, no matter what, to sit down and make their writing goals. That's supposedly one of the characteristics that defines true writers, but are those people affected by their moods?

I've had a very bad couple of weeks at my paying job and it has drastically affected my mood and thus my ability to write. I'm finding it very difficult to have any motivation to face my characters, knowing I won't do them or their story justice. I feel the pressure to put words to page, but I just can't do it.

So, I'm wondering, how do moods affect other writers? Are published writers and unpublished writers alike equally affected by swings in mood or does being a paid professional somehow make a difference in the ability to deal?

I've got one more work day this week, Saturday, then I'm free for three days. My problems won't be gone for good, but at least I'll have a breather. I need to pull myself out of the dumps and get back on track this weekend. I can't just leave my characters hanging, and I'm so close to finishing the novel.

5 comments:

Kathryn Magendie said...

Pah! Balogna! There isn't any thing "real" writers do that make us magic or special or better or ...whatever....

We do have to be disciplined, but, shoot, I don't write every single day --there are days I have things I want to do, get out of the little log house, go do something - hike, walk, shop, whatever....

there are days I'm just not feeling so hot - I may want to goof off all day (like today!)

I may do something "literature" or "writing related" or 'whatnot' every day, but that could simply be checking email or twitter or whatever.

Don't worry about what people say "Real Writers" do -- give yourself a break and a hug ....

* said...

My mood can effect my writing, and also my kids' moods. When something is amiss at home, it most often directly hurts my writing.

But I'm also in the habit of writing every night, either a little or a lot, so when I don't, it's like I'm skipping the best meal of the day.

This new year has really thrown me for a loop so far, and my 2 WIPs are suffering as a result. I know I'll get back on track, I just have to reorganize my life and have more responsibility for reaching my goals.

Write on!

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

I am the same way!!! I haven't edited anything in two weeks! I was going to do it today, but my daughter begged me to go to the movies with her! (YIKES! A teenager wanting to go to the movies with her mom....yeah, I went!!!!) And now my son and his wife are coming over for supper in an hour...I need to go cook and entertain. Sigh...there is always tomorrow...but then I always say that. Part of me thinks I need to take 30 minutes a day to write/edit, no matter what I feel. Finishing anything will never happen if I don't get some discipline in my life.

I feel your pain! But we step forward and will become victorious in the end. :)

M. Bail said...

Thanks, ladies. It's nice to know I'm not alone!

Cheryl said...

I've been struggling with this same issue for the last few weeks, trying to find time to write then to actually be in the mood once I sit in front of my computer. Habit works best for me, first thing in the morning even if all I do is scroll up and down the page as I'm trying to wake up. But lately I've let other things get in the way.

I think every writer goes through this though. When I was a kid I got a diary full of author quotes about writing and most of them had to do with why they weren't writing!


And whether you get a lot or a little writing done, enjoy your days off!